Seiten

Dienstag, 5. November 2013

Day 30: An awful lot of running

One reason why I would make a good companion to a time lord is that I can (probably) walk for days without getting tired. It´s a good thing when you get lost and also comes in handy when everything you wanna see is closed or shut down.

Today I did something I hardly do when traveling: I actually made a plan, took screenshots of directions and had some kind of schedule. My first stop was out of business, that´s ok. The second stop was closed- I was probably too early but no worries cause this way I could spend more time at the museum of the moving picture or actually not because they are closed on tuesdays.


Still, I was in a pretty good mood so I went into the next restaurant, ate something and used their wifi to find a random thing that´s open. This way I ended up visiting the "Mount Vernon Hotel" which the weirdest and loveliest museum I have ever been to. To get in you had to ring a doorbell, then 3 old ladies would come and ask you if you want a tour. We started out at the gift shop and small talked.


Every time people hear that I am from Austria they start telling me what they know about my country and to be honest I don´t even know half of this stuff. I do think that they also make a lot of it up but mostly just end up nodding and saying things like "Well… yeah…. Austria is quite a country".
I think today I even made stuff up too but I really wanted to entertain them and it worked!

2 more people arrived and we started the tour. 90 year old Rosa needed some help turning the TV on but then we watched a nice 20 minute movie about NY between 1820 - 1830. Rose guided us through the different rooms and I learned a lot about furniture.
She assured us that everything in the room has a story so we ended up asking about random objects and yes, she knew all of them. In one room we found a basket of fans and Rosa actually is a expert on past times flirting rituals.

I actually liked it so much that I bought a fan and the phrase-list and I plan to practice. Someday it might come in handy.  For example: When my husband and me are throwing a fancy dinner party and he invites the guy I´m having an affair with. We could totally flirt without flirting and my husband would´t know. I just don´t get how the guy replies and also; what happens if more people in the room speak this language? I guess I´ll have some reading to do when I´m home but people back then did a lot of funny stuff.




Rosa told me to visit PS1- I walked there and yes, also closed on Tuesdays. At this point I didn´t feel like going home yet so I just picked a random street and walked it. 2 hours later I ended up in a cafe in Willamsburg eating cake and drawing on napkins. The cake you can see here was actually very weird. Not bad but also not really good. I came home around 7 pm an ran into hungry Sophie from the Netherlands. We cooked, Sophie cut Eric´s hair and now everyone´s small talking while I´m sitting on my laptop being semi-social. Man I´m tired.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.